Thursday, August 14, 2008

Recap: H3Customs Testing Day

This is a recap of the Map Testing day on 8/14/08, hosted on H3Customs.com.

If you were there, I hope you had a good time. If you weren't, you missed a great six games. We did play six games, but three will be discussed in detail, because they were the focal point of the event: testing my three newest maps.

Game 1: Conquest on Facility
Tone of game: One clear problem, plus lag. Not great.
Recap:
Game one got off to a slow start. Although we only had a max on 11 people at once (Which usually isn't that much for Facility), lag was apparent. The gameplay wasn't horrible, but it was a bit worse than usual. It also didn't help that, because most of the players were close friends and joking around, lots of people liked the glitch that got them inside the fence box by quickly getting in the decorative mongoose inside.
The gameplay was not great, but it was still fairly fun because of a few memorable sticks and sudden death runs. I really can't blame the map for the lag, although I can blame it for the one mongoose glitch, which has been fixed and replaced with a crate.
Pictures:

The first fire of the game.

Capturing the early territories.

Around the corner...

Crossfire in the "market" territory.

Me getting mauled in an attempt to recapture our territory. Of course, after dying, I get a "Yeah, get 'em Nevz!" from Fatal. =P

An intense sudden death cap to finish with... 3 of 18 total caps. I was on the wrong end of the blowout.



Game 2: Multi Flag BRs on Fissure
Tone of game: Intense, smooth, balanced.
Recap:
Game two certainly rebounded from the slow start. Fissure is my oldest of the three maps tested, and it has already undergone changes before this match. The changes were intended to spark more runs and leave the game less "stalemated."
Two regenerators and two grav lifts were added, and the two tripmines were removed and the shotgun respawn time was reduced. This game would determine if the changes worked.
For the most part, they did. One glitch I found was that I forgot to modify the regenerator respawn time because there were two of them. At just a 60 second respawn, regenerators were fairly abundant. It didn't ruin the gameplay at all, but there were a little too many in play. It was reduced to 120 seconds apiece afterwards.
The gameplay was very solid, and though the game ended at just 1-0, teams often made runs and failed about halfway there. Sniper towers were just as effective as I wanted: not dominant, but strong.
I also found another glitch: you could get on the fence bridge, and jump on top of the big wall in the middle. The bridge has been modified to fix that advantage, so you can now only get over the wall by using grav lifts.
Pictures:

Blue's vehicles set off.

I actually trusted Golfer to drive me: I blew up shortly after. =P

A battle shot.

The only cap of the game in the making.



Game 3: FFA Oddball on Industrial
Tone of game: A bit crowded, overall fun.
Recap:
The Map Testing finished off strong, with my brand new Free-For-All map Industrial. I also played Slayer on this map, but I will feature Oddball. The gameplay was very quick, and with eight people was a couple more than I wanted so it was a bit crowded. The game shifted all over, from the starting fence bridge, to a few choke points where it was hard to move it out, to the Courtyard. This game, and a game of SnipeFlag, were my only wins for the night. I finished the night with the last 33 seconds. I really liked the gameplay, and the only change I had to make was one glitch where a box didn't spawn. It made the map minorly breakable, but I warned everyone not to go through it, and they didn't.
Pictures:

The ball at its start point on the fence bridge: the dude with the rockets didn't make it...

Action near the ball spawn.

The sniper fails against the ball.

The ball was hard to flush out of the shotgun box.

A regenerator won't save you from a stick.

I finish the game strong with 33 seconds and a beat on the scoreless Golfer. =P,



Closing word:
The custom today was extremely fun overall. I got some improvements on my maps, and had a great time with friends. Thanks to all tha helped test, and I hope you all had fun. Also played, but not featured:
- Slayer on Industrial
- Team Slayer on Fissure
- SnipeFlag on Guardian

No comments: